The Best Earache Drops for Ear Pain Relief
Earaches are an uncomfortable nuisance.
Actually, let’s rephrase that: Earaches can be an uncomfortable nuisance—or they can trigger excruciating pain that results in canceled plans and reduced quality of life, often unpredictably, often on a regular basis.
Finding a solution that works for you, if you suffer from earaches, is a must. Ear drops for pain can help you turn bad days around effectively.
However, the best earache drops for someone else might not work for you, so it’s a good idea to know what’s out there and be as informed as possible so you can make the best possible decision for you.
The Role of High-Quality Ear Drops: How Do They Help Earaches?
If you get earaches from time to time, chances are that when they’re happening you’re not thinking so much about why. Or what caused the earache to happen. Chances are, you’re more interested in getting the earache to go away.
To learn how to make that happen, let’s take a quick look at the science behind earaches.
What Causes Earaches?
There are many culprits that can cause earaches. And, depending on what happens and how it happens, the resulting earache can hurt in specifically different ways.
Here are a few of the factors potentially responsible for your earache:
- Buildup of your earwax. Your ear naturally produces and expels wax. This is normal, but if the process of making or getting rid of wax gets disrupted in any way, the extra wax can harden. This may cause blockages or pain.
- Ear infections. If you get a bacterial or viral infection, especially if the infection occurs in your middle ear, that can result in painful swelling or even discharge that can be exceedingly uncomfortable.
- Water in your ear. If you bathe or swim in a way where your ears are submerged, that can lead to water trapped in your ear canal. This can result in both infection and pain.
- Physical injury. If you have damaged your ear—say, after a fall or a head injury—that can result in earaches during recovery and even long after your head has healed.
How Do Ear Drops Help?
Since there are several different ways your ears can hurt in the first place, how can one type of pain relief—ear drops—provide universal relief?
First of all, remember that the efficacy of ear drops for you specifically may be unique to you. You and your doctor will need to discuss your symptoms and then talk about which type of ear drops will be most effective, or if ear drops are a good idea for you in the first place.
When ear drops are effective at pain relief, it’s usually because:
- Ear drops can provide direct, local pain relief—e.g., directly to the ear, applied topically—without having to ingest pain medication and wait for the active ingredients to wend their way through your bloodstream.
- Many types of ear drops contain anti-inflammatory ingredients. This can help reduce swelling, which may also lead to pain relief.
- If you’re experiencing an infection, antibiotic medication may be the only way to treat your pain and help you find relief. Antibiotic ear drops for pain relief can help.
- There are some types of ear drops that can help reduce earwax buildup, or help soften and remove existing buildup. If your earache is due to excess wax, these types of drops might be worth considering.
What Are the “Right” Types of Ear Drops?
Here’s what your doctor will likely want to know when helping you select the right type of ear drops:
- What’s the underlying cause of your earache? You might know this already. If you recently had a head injury or have a history of ear infections, those could be clues. If you don’t know why your ear is hurting, your doctor will be able to help you determine what’s going on.
- What active ingredients are you looking for? Do you suspect you need an antibiotic or an anti-inflammatory agent? Understanding which is which can help guide you towards the right choice for your particular condition.
- How severe are your symptoms? And how frequently do they occur? If your earaches come back regularly and are extremely severe, your doctor will likely want to consider different treatments than if it’s a one-off event and relatively mild.
- Do you have any sensitivities or allergies? Your doctor will want to prescribe you eye drops that don’t contain anything that could make the problem worse (or cause problems in other parts of your body). Make sure your doctor is aware of any ingredients you need to steer clear of.
- Have you had ear treatments in the past? Whether you’ve used ear drops to help overcome earaches previously or even had more extensive work done to treat perforated eardrums or place ear tubes, when you’re talking to your doctor about earaches, that’s a good time to mention this specific medical history.
Once your doctor has this information, they can help you select the best earache drops for you, your symptoms, and your goals.
The Best Earache Drops for Ear Pain Relief
Wondering which medications your doctor will likely be choosing from?
Some of the more popular earache drops for pain relief include:
Ciprodex Otic Suspension
Ciprodex Otic Suspension (ciprofloxacin/dexamethasone) is an earache medication that combines the power of an antibiotic – ciprofloxacin – with a corticosteroid, dexamethasone.
This one-two punch is very effective at both reducing inflammation and treating ear infections. If you have a bacterial ear infection, in particular, Ciprodex Otic Suspension may be worth a try. Before you select it, though, know that the side effects of Ciprodex Otic Suspension can include ear discomfort, rashes, and even itching.
You can buy 7.5 mL of Ciprodex Otic Suspension through NorthWestPharmacy.com for around $56.00 with the generic is available at a massive discount to this price.
Cipro (ciprofloxacin) is an antibiotic, or a substance that can help treat bacterial infections very effectively. If you’re dealing with an earache that’s happening because of a bacterial infection but you don’t need the anti-inflammatory action of a corticosteroid, Cipro can come in handy.
It’s a fast-acting medication. After you take it, your infection and symptoms should clear quickly. On the other hand, Cipro can cause side effects that trigger further ear irritation. Make sure your doctor knows about any other conditions you may have, too, as there are some situations where taking Cipro may not be a good idea.
Cipro comes in oral tablets instead of ear drops. If you’re looking for ciprofloxacin in ear drop form, Ciprodex Otic Suspension may be precisely what you need.
You can buy 10 pills of Cipro through NorthWestPharmacy.com for around $56.00. Get the generic for a fraction of this price.
Ocuflox Ophthalmic Solution
Ocuflox Ophthalmic Solution (ofloxacin) is a type of ophthalmic solution that can help treat ear infections. Ofloxacin, the active ingredient in Ocuflox, is a broad-spectrum antibiotic. This means it’s very effective at treating bacterial infections. However, if you have specific pre-existing conditions or allergies, Ofloxacin may not be for you–so make sure you discuss any conditions you have with your doctor first!
You can buy 5mL of Ocuflox Ophthalmic Solution through NorthWestPharmacy.com for around $31.00 and save much more with the generic alternative.
Dermotic Oil Ear Drops
Dermotic Oil Ear Drops (fluocinolone acetonide) contain a corticosteroid medication that can help people treat inflammation associated with ear infections or other ear conditions. When the inflammation and swelling go down, the pain should, too–-making this an effective option to explore if you have infection-related earaches or discomfort.
The side effects of Dermotic Oil Ear Drops can include rash or local irritation. If you have specific ear conditions, make sure your doctor knows about them before prescribing this medication.
You can buy 20mL of Dermotic Oil Ear Drops through NorthWestPharmacy.com for around $64.00.
How Do I Choose the Right Earache Drops for Pain? FAQs
If you and your doctor are in the middle of trying to find the right earache drops for your specific situation, it can be easy to get bogged down by all this information!
Here are specific, succinct answers to the most common questions we see about earache drops, ear pain relief, and finding high-quality ear pain medications (for less!).
Q: What causes earaches?
A: There are many things that cause earaches. Factors responsible for the ear pain you’re feeling could range from earwax to ear infections, water trapped in your ear, or physical injury to the ear structure.
Q: How do ear drops help reduce ear pain?
A: Ear drops can help relieve earaches by providing localized pain relief or treatment for the condition causing the pain. Examples may include anti-inflammatory agents to help reduce redness and swelling, or antibiotic medications to eradicate responsible bacterial or viral infections.
Q: What should I think about when choosing ear drops?
A: When you and your doctor are selecting ear drops to help you relieve ear aches, you’ll need to think about:
- What’s causing your earaches
- What type of treatments have worked for you in the past
- If you have allergies to common active ingredients
- The severity and frequency of your symptoms
Your doctor will be able to consider all of this information in the context of what you’re suffering and what medications are available to you before making a recommendation.
Q: What are some common earache drops for earache relief?
A: Common options your doctor may consider include:
- Ciprodex Otic Suspension
- Ocuflox Ophthalmic Solution
- Dermotic Oil Ear Drops
Each of these medications has different active ingredients and is suited for various types of earaches.
Q: Do earache drops have any side effects?
A: Earache drops can have many side effects, including discomfort, rashes, itching, and local irritation. If you’re experiencing symptoms after treating your earache with ear drops, discuss your options with your doctor. They may be able to help you find alternative treatments that come with fewer side effects.
Q: Can my eardrops treat all types of earaches?
A: Not every type of eardrop is appropriate for every type of earache! The efficacy of your ear drops depends on what’s causing your earaches, and the specific formulation of your ear drops. Talk to your doctor if you’re having earaches that can be traced back to a few different causes to see if you can find a medication that treats you effectively.
Q: How do I apply ear drops correctly?
A: Need to apply ear drops correctly? Start by tilting your head to one side, then use the ear drop dropper to place a few drops of fluid directly in your ear canal. Then, keep your head tilted for a few minutes. Before you get started, read the specific directions on the box of your ear drops.
Q: Can I use OTC ear drops for severe earaches?
A: If your earaches are particularly severe, there’s an excellent chance that you’re going to need prescription medication. OTC ear drops are usually well-suited to mild earaches.
Q: How quickly do ear drops work for effective pain relief?
A: The timeline and efficiency of earache drops for earache pain depends on which type of ear drops you buy—and what the underlying cause of your earache is! Some types of ear drops work faster than others. If you’re looking for high-quality, fast-working pain relief, make sure to mention those goals to your doctor!
Ready to Buy the Best Ear Drops for Pain? Start Here
When you’re in pain, you need effective relief, and you need it now.
You don’t need to get stuck figuring out logistics, spending tons of time finding clear information about the medications you need, or determining how you can afford the high-quality products you deserve.
That’s why NorthWestPharmacy.com, a CIPA-certified online Canadian pharmacy and international medications website, is pleased to connect you with safe, authentic brand-name and generic medications for less. If you have any questions about how we can support you, call our team today or contact us online.
Ready to place your order and save big on high-quality ear drops? You can do so in just a few clicks. The team at NorthWestPharmacy.com looks forward to supporting you and your health journey.