Why is Trintellix So Expensive? (& How to Get Up to 37% Off)
It’s also incredibly expensive. American patients who need Trintellix to thrive pay over $6,000.00 per year to take it.
If you’re in need of a way to take Trintellix and save, online Canadian pharmacies can help.
Here’s everything you need to know about Trintellix – including how to save up to 37% on this necessary mental health prescription medication. Why is Trintellix So Expensive?
Why is Trintellix So Expensive?
This depression medication is a required daily treatment for many Americans with major depressive disorder. Taking it can transform their lives – so why is it priced out of reach of the people who need it most?
We’ll start with the basics:
What is Trintellix?
Trintellix (vortioxetine) treats major depressive disorder (MDD). It does so by regulating neurotransmitter levels.
People with MDD and other forms of depression have lower serotonin levels – to name just one neurotransmitter. Trintellix boosts serotonin and, as a result, boosts mental health.
People who take Trintellix typically do so once daily. Usually, MDD patients start with 10mg tablets and escalate to 20mg if needed. While patients may experience some anti-depressive benefits quickly, they must take Trintellix as planned for several weeks before the medication takes full effect.
Does Trintellix Have Any Side Effects?
Trintellix does cause some side effects.
Common side effects of Trintellix include vomiting, constipation, and nausea. In some cases, people who take Trintellix may experience low blood sodium levels – though that should be rare.
Before prescribing Trintellix, your doctor will review any other medications you may take and your health concerns. If there are any risky interactions or uniquely harmful side effects in your situation, your doctor will likely recommend another MDD drug.
How Expensive Is Trintellix?
Trintellix is very expensive. American patients pay around $525.00 for 30 tablets – or approximately $17.50 per tablet.
While you can’t put a price on mental health, Trintellix costs certainly add up over time. In one calendar year, MDD patients in the States may have no choice but to spend over $6,000.00 on one medication.
As there is no generic version of Trintellix on the market, it could seem like your only other option is to opt for another mental health medication.
Or you can buy Trintellix from an online drugstore and save. Here, 30 tablets of brand-name Trintellix cost around $310.00 for 28 pills, or about $11.00 per tablet. That’s up to 37% in potential savings.
Why Exactly Is Trintellix So Expensive?
There are several possible factors fueling Trintellix’s high price. They include:
- R&D, or research and development. Developing new medications requires incredible resources, time, study, expertise, and testing. All of that costs a lot of money. The NIH estimates that new drug development can cost a manufacturer anywhere from about $300 million to nearly $3 billion. After launching a new medication, the manufacturer wants to make that investment back, so the costs get passed onto consumers.
- Marketing. In America, spending a lot of money marketing pharmaceuticals is very common. (Pharma companies spent nearly $7 billion on marketing in 2021.) Again, those costs get passed to the end user.
- Patent protections. Pharmaceutical companies make the most money on their drugs before there are affordable generics and similar medications flooding the market. This provides clear incentives for companies to hold onto the patents for their products, but, from the consumer perspective, puts people at the mercy of manufacturers who have total freedom over their prices, including gouging them!
- Manufacturing costs. After the initial development of a drug is complete, manufacturers need to find a way to put a new drug into production. This requires specialized equipment, raw materials, and more. If the manufacturers need to spend more on raw materials – which could be the case during rampant supply chain issues, for example – the manufacturer will raise their prices to avoid losing too much money.
Some American patients may be able to rely on insurance to defray their prescription medication bills.
But, unfortunately, insurance may not be the simple high-cost cure-all you need to make Trintellix work for you long-term.
Why is Trintellix Not Covered by Insurance?
Trintellix is not always covered by insurance. This could be for a few reasons.
Insurance companies have lists of medications they will cover (called formularies).
Insurers may decide to leave Trintellix off that list, or only have it marked as a non-preferred medication. Why?
It’s simple: Because Trintellix is a higher-cost medication, it costs more for the insurance company to cover it.
As a result, insurance companies can make patients who require Trintellix pay a higher deductible or co-pay.
Insurance companies may also be less than discerning about the different types of drugs available to treat MDD. For example, Trintellix is a very expensive brand-name drug, so it may be listed as a second-choice medication (for the insurance company) behind cheaper generic alternatives.
This can make it very difficult for patients to get their Trintellix covered – as insurance companies can argue that there are more cost-effective ways to treat MDD.
Dealing with this system requires extensive time, money, and stress. Finding a more reliable, lower-cost, and less stressful way to get the meds you need will pay off!
Regardless of where you get your Trintellix, however, there are some things you should know about proper Trintellix use.
Before Taking Trintellix: Things to Keep In Mind
If you’re investing in Trintellix to help treat your MDD, you’ll want to make sure you’re using the drug as effectively and safely as possible. Before you start your Trintellix treatment regimen, talk to your doctor about these factors:
- Your medical history. If you have a history of liver or kidney problems, low blood sodium levels, seizures, or bleeding disorders, Trintellix may not be the best choice for you. Your doctor will be aware of this and should be able to recommend an alternative. (We’ve listed some of the most popular Trintellix alternatives below.)
- Any other medications you may be taking. Trintellix interacts with blood thinners, NSAIDs, and certain other antidepressants. Your doctor will consider how Trintellix will fit into your overarching care plan to make sure it’s a good choice for you.
- Whether you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Trintellix may not be a good mix for brand-new parents, as taking Trintellix during pregnancy or while you’re nursing can expose your child to the medication. If you need to select an alternative or come up with a plan to wean off Trintellix for this specific period of time, your doctor can help.
Are There Alternatives to Trintellix?
Trintellix isn’t the only medication that treats MDD. Here, we’ll talk a little about the different medications your doctor may recommend.
First: When will the most similar alternative to Trintellix hit the market?
When Will Trintellix Generic Be Available?
A company called Takeda Pharmaceuticals currently owns Trintellix. The current patents for Trintellix expire in the summer of 2027. That’s the earliest possible date that a generic manufacturer will be able to apply for authorization in the USA.
The authorization process can take a very long time – and Takeda Pharmaceuticals can always apply for an extension to their 2027 patent.
In short, it will be a very long time before generic Trintellix is available.
Viibryd (vilazodone) is a prescription drug that can treat MDD. Its active ingredient is an SSRI, or a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. It helps boost serotonin levels in your brain by stopping the serotonin absorption process.
While both Viibryd and Trintellix target the amount of serotonin available in the brain, they work a little differently. Viibryd stops serotonin from being reabsorbed, while Trintellix stimulates and modulates the way the brain produces more serotonin.
Viibryd is also less expensive than Trintellix.
How Much Does Viibryd Cost?
Americans needing Viibryd can buy 30 tablets for about $390.00 through United States pharmacies. That’s around $13.00 for a single tablet that patients must take daily.
Alternatively, to save up to 59%, you can buy 30 tablets of brand-name Viibryd for $160.00 through NorthWestPharmacy.com’s Canada drugs and international medications site, or about $5.30 per tablet.
Desyrel (trazodone), also known as Molipaxin, treats MDD. It’s also used off-label to treat a few related conditions, such as insomnia, anxiety, and chronic pain.
Trazodone helps rebalance the brain’s levels of neurotransmitters. As these chemical messengers play vital roles in regulating blood pressure, heart rate, focus, sleep cycle, and other qualities of our lives, it makes sense that regulating their levels would greatly influence the physical symptoms associated with depression and anxiety.
One of the chemicals Desyrel affects is 5-HTP, a neurotransmitter that helps boost serotonin. 5-HTP is also a precursor of melatonin, a hormone that helps people sleep.
So if insomnia is one of the symptoms you associate with MDD, or if it’s something you struggle with outside of depression, Desyrel may be able to provide the relief you need.
As opposed to many other antidepressants, Desyrel has a low risk of triggering side effects for a patient’s sexual health. However, your experience with Desyrel will depend on your specific symptoms, the other medications you take, and myriad other factors.
How Much Does Desyrel Cost?
Brand Desyrel can be tough to find in the states, as a widely available generic alternative exists. Unfortunately, generic medications don’t always work for anyone, as the generic equivalent of a drug may have side effects and different interactions than the original medication due different buffers and fillers used.
Through NorthWestPharmacy.com, you can buy both generic and brand Desyrel. Here, 30 tablets of brand Desyrel costs around $35.00, or a little over $1.00 per pill. To save even further, you can buy generic Desyrel for about $0.15 per tablet.
Trazodone Oral Solution
Trazodone Oral Solution (trazodone) leverages the same active ingredient as Desyrel. This medication is only available as a generic, which can make it more affordable.
As its name suggests, Trazodone Oral Solution is a medication that patients drink. This can make it more accessible for people with trouble swallowing large pills. It also makes it easier to modulate your dose, if needed – although that should only be done under the supervision of your healthcare provider.
Trazodone Oral Solution can treat major depressive disorder, anxiety, insomnia, or schizophrenia. In some cases, Trazodone Oral Solution’s sedative properties make it a helpful addition to a medication regimen to help control side effects (such as uncontrollable movements) of other drugs.
How Much Does Trazodone Oral Solution Cost?
Although Trazodone Oral Solution is generic, it can also be challenging to find in the States. Here, through NorthWestPharmacy.com, you can buy 120mL of Trazodone Oral Solution for around $230.00.
Buy Lower-Cost Trintellix Through an Online Canadian Pharmacy
Patients with MDD don’t need sky-high prescription costs weighing them down.
Yet mental health medications, in particular, are becoming increasingly expensive.
If you’re looking for an easier way to access and afford your prescription medications, including Trintellix or other MDD drugs, check out what online Canadian pharmacies can offer you. The benefits can be game-changing! They include:
- Lower costs. An online Canadian pharmacy or reputable international drugstore can connect American patients with drugs priced fairly. In addition, the Canadian government regulates drug prices, so Canadian drugstore prescription costs tend to be much lower.
- Convenience. When you don’t feel like putting on your shoes, getting in your car, and interacting with people to get your required meds, you don’t have to! Instead, tap on your phone a few times and order your prescriptions online through NorthWestPharmacy.com. Your medications will be delivered directly to your front door.
- Safety and quality. The Canadian government regulates Canadian pharmacies – but that’s not all. Established Canadian pharmacy organizations, such as the Canadian International Pharmacy Association (CIPA), closely monitor Canadian international drugstore offerings. If the pharmacy you’re looking at has the CIPA seal of approval, you can feel confident in its reliability and legitimacy.
When you’re ready to buy your prescription Trintellix for less, give our customer service team a call or check out our Trintellix prescription guide to get started.
If you’d like to learn more about what we offer, read our customer reviews, or chat with our pharmacists to discuss your prescription M-F. The team at NorthWestPharmacy.com is looking forward to supporting you and your healthcare journey.